The Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities believes in individuals working in their community. The Board focuses on the person’s unique needs. In doing this consideration is given to where a person is in their career path, where they want to be, and how the Board can assist in getting the person there. An Employment Specialist is available to guide an individual along the path to employment.
Bridges To Transition
Van Wert County Board of DD teams with Opportunities for Ohioans with Disabilities (State of Ohio agency that partners with Ohioans with disabilities to achieve quality employment and independence) and the Ohio Association of County Boards of Developmental Disabilities in a program that expands and enhances school to work transition for youth with disabilities.
“Bridges to Transition” is a service designed to provide training and resources, necessary for successful transition from school to work, to individuals with developmental disabilities (ages 14-25). Services that are integral to Bridges to Transition include:
- Educating individuals, families and schools about training/employment options for people with developmental disabilities.
- Develop Individualized Employment Plans (IPE) to fit the need of the transition student.
- Monitoring progress throughout service, to make sure IPE meets needs. Educate about effects of SSI/SSDI and Medicaid.
- Coordinate services with schools, in order to make a smooth transition.
- Linking individuals with appropriate services for developing the skills needed in the workplace. Services include, but are not limited to: Job Shadowing, Job Coaching, Job Placement, Personal and work Adjustment, Summer Youth Programs, Driver’s Evaluations, Driver Education Tutoring.
To be eligible for Bridges to Transition services students must have a physical or mental impairment which results in an impediment to employment.
Bridges to Transition is currently working with Van Wert City Schools, Lincolnview, Crestview and Vantage Career Center.
Community Employment Services
The Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities believe in people working in their community. The opportunity to work in the community can increase income, advance careers, and promote choice. The Board works with employers to establish partnerships that will enhance employment opportunities.
In March of 2012 Governor John Kasich signed Executive Order 2012-05K establishing Ohio’s Employment First Initiative. It created a statewide collaboration and coordination by creating the Employment First Taskforce and Advisory Committee and made community employment the preferred outcome for individuals with developmental disabilities.
The Van Wert County Board of DD is an Employment First agency. Our objectives are:
- To enable people with developmental disabilities to move from traditional, segregated day programs and workshops into competitive , community based employment.
- To enable people with developmental disabilities, who are not presently involved in vocational services, to gain competitive employment.
- To enhance the quality of life of the people we serve through competitive and integrated employment.
- To increase awareness in the community regarding the employment potential of people with developmental disabilities through our community based supported employment efforts.
Board services include: Job Development, Job Coaching, and Employment Follow Along. These services are designed to help individuals find employment, train them on how to do a job, and communicate with you and the employer to ensure success.