The Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities provides a vital link between individuals with disabilities and the services they receive. Without the efforts of the County Board, services to developmentally disabled individuals would be virtually non-existent.
- The Board’s Early Intervention program is assisted financially by federal Part C dollars and state General Revenue funds through the Help Me Grow grant. Funds are received for developmental screenings, evaluations, assessments, and coordination of services for children birth to three years old.
- 90%+ of adults supported by the Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities are funded through a federal Medicaid waiver.
- Medicaid pays approximately 60% of the cost of services and the Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities (through local levy dollars) pays the other 40% of the cost for services.
- Without this relationship, federal Medicaid dollars would not come to the county to serve individuals with developmental disabilities.
- The relationship between the Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities and the federal Medicaid program significantly expands the array of services available to individuals with developmental disabilities in the county.
- Medicaid dollars ensure “free choice of provider” meaning individuals choose a willing provider who meets their needs.
- The Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities coordinates services for all individuals, regardless of their provider, and provides oversight for the quality of services provided.
Each year the Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities brings in several million dollars that are reinvested into the local economy.