Notice of Privacy Practices
This notice describes how personal information about you may be used and disclosed and how you can get access to this information. Please read carefully.
The Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities (VWCBDD) understands that personal information needs to be kept private. Protecting personal information is important. We follow strict federal and state laws that require us to keep the personal information of all people we provide services to confidential.
Van Wert County Board of DD’s PRIVACY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Van Wert County Board of DD is required by law to:
- Maintain the privacy of your personal information
- Provide this notice that describes the ways we may use and share your personal information.
- Follow the terms of the notice currently in effect.
HOW PERSONAL INFORMATION MAY BE USED
When you (or your child under 18 years old) receive services from the VWCBDD, the personal information you provide will be used for providing your services, billing for those services and conducting normal board business known as health care operations.
If VWCBDD staff should want to share your personal information with anyone who is not employed by the VWCBDD, you must give them written permission first. Some personal records, including confidential communications with a mental health professional or substance abuse counselor, may have additional restrictions for use and disclosure under state and federal law.
If you have a legal representative (guardian or someone else you have appointed) and have agreed to let that person obtain or authorize the release of your personal information, we will provide the authorized information.
Examples of how personal information may be used:
Treatment – Records of the care and services provided to you within the VWCBDD are kept for each service. For example, case managers, nurses and therapists keep notes on all contacts made in coordinating, arranging or providing a service.
Payment – Records are kept that include payment information and documentation of the services provided to you. For example your information may be used to obtain payment for your services from Medicaid or other sources.
Health Care Operations – Personal information may be reviewed to improve the quality of care, train staff, manage costs, conduct required business duties, and make plans to better serve you and other individuals enrolled in the VWCBDD. For example, we may use your personal information to evaluate the quality of treatment and services provided by our service staff.
USES AND DISCLOSURES OF HEALTH INFORMATION NOT REQUIRING CONSENT OR AUTHORIZATION
The law provides that Van Wert County Board of DD may use/disclose your health information without consent or authorization in the following circumstances
- When required by law or court order
- For public health activities
- About suspected abuse, neglect or domestic violence
- For health oversight activities
- For judicial and administrative proceedings
- Related to a death
- To avoid a serious threat to health or safety
- For specialized government functions such as intelligence and national security
- For workers’ compensation claims handling
- When local, state, federal agencies need to monitor your services
- To prepare reports required by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities and the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
All other uses and disclosures, not described in this notice, require your signed authorization. You may revoke your authorization at any time with a written statement.