Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities partners with numerous local agencies and independent providers that deliver high-quality services to individuals with developmental disabilities living in the County. Independent providers and agencies that are currently certified to work in Van Wert County are listed on the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities website.
Individuals interested in becoming a direct support professional and are encouraged to contact the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities through their web site. Interested individuals may also contact Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities for assistance.
Minimum Certification Qualifications
• must be at least 18 years of age
• must hold a high school diploma or GED
• must have a valid social security number and one form of identification such as a state of Ohio identification card, valid driver’s license, or other government-issued photo identification
• must not be on the abuser registry
• must not be on the nurse aide registry
• must be able to read, write, and understand English in a way to communicate with clients
• must hold a valid American Red Cross (or equivalent certification) in first aid
• must hold a valid American Red Cross (or equivalent certification) in CPR
• must complete 8 hours of training in the following topics:
o Overview of serving individuals with Developmental Disabilities
o Rights of individuals
o Overview of basic principles and requirements of providing home and community-based services
o Incidents adversely affecting health and safety
o Universal precautions for infection control.
The Van Wert County Board of Developmental Disabilities is also committed to meeting with each newly certified independent provider within sixty calendar days of the provider being selected to provide services to an individual. This is for purposes of confirming the provider understands the individual’s service plan and the provider’s responsibility under that plan. The meetings will also ensure the provider has contact information for the County Board.